Saturday, November 17, 2018

A Moment With The Holy


Well, once again the holiday season is ramping up and I can feel the urgency of the season pressing in on me. If you are like me, I start to have a harder and harder time slowing down enough to listen and abide in my creators love. There is always an urgent now calling me forward out of the well worn groves of my routines I have during the rest of the year.

A few days ago I was at work in the lunchroom where we have a very large flat screen television that is always tuned into a national news station. On this day I saw a whole segment on the border wall in Mexico and the pictures were all of men and women climbing over the border wall. The rhetoric was angry, the information scroll on the bottom of the screen was full of angry tweets, and honestly the whole story was geared towards one thing - making me angry. Instead of feeling a seasonal hope and sitting and enjoying a co-workers company, I was forced to see and hear an assault on my senses.

A few minutes after sitting down with my food and watching this go on, I became aware of a 4 year old little boy and his baby brother sitting by themselves right behind me while mom and dad were just a few feet away getting food for the family. All of a sudden, in a bid to soothe his younger brother, the 4 year old starting singing "I love Jesus, Jesus love me" over and over again in the innocent meter and rhythm that a child his age would know. I felt the spirit quicken in me and tell me to slow down and listen. As all this anger was being pushed at me and all this agenda I was being forced to take in was flying at me a mile a minute. But a small child reminded me of Jesus love, and that even if I am angry at what is happening at the border, or I am not, Jesus loves those involved, and He has the cares covered.

The crazy thing that happened in that lunchroom is that I am pretty sure it fell utterly silent for a few seconds with the exception of the child singing. I may have just entered my own little zone of pause and it really did not happen that way, but it was very fascinating to feel the spirit slow things down and make room for the voice of a small child.

As the holiday season speeds up I have decided to embrace the uncomfortable, to get out of well worn patterns of life and maybe be just a little more observant of the things around me. God is orchestrating little life lessons and messages all around us every-single-day. I know this in my head, but sometimes the heart knowledge does not come so quickly. Sometimes we all need a voice of a little child to point us back to the heart of the matter, and that heart is the heart of our Father God.

~Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mimicry of Christ

“Finally beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, Whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendab...